Only for SF Bay
Serves 2 to 3: Cooked yield 28 oz
Serves 4 to 6: Cooked Yield 48 oz
Kidney Beans & Rice (Rajma Chawal) is the ultimate north Indian comfort meal. Silky smooth beans in a spicy tart sauce, what's not to love?
In the Kit: 1) Parboiled Kidney Beans 2) Tangy Masala Sauce
Ingredients: Organic Kidney Beans, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Onions, Avocado Oil, Organic Lemon Juice, Organic Ginger, Organic Garlic, Organic Coriander, Organic Cumin, Organic Raw Sugar, Salt, Organic Cayenne, Organic Turmeric, Green Chili, Organic Peppercorn, Organic Cardamom, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Cloves.
Instant Pot Instructions (use frozen or defrosted)
- Add 1 cup (2 cups for family) water, kidney beans, and sauce.
- SEAL and cook at HIGH PRESSURE for 5 minutes.
- Rest for 5 minutes, then VENT.
- Mash a handful of kidney beans to thicken sauce. Enjoy!
Stovetop Instructions (use frozen or defrosted)
- Add kidney beans, sauce, and 1 ¼ to 1 ½ (2 ¼ to 2 ½ cups for family) water to just cover kidney beans. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cook covered for 7 minutes or until the kidney beans are soft.
- Simmer and mash a handful of kidney beans to thicken sauce. Enjoy!
Note: Salt is kept low, adjust to taste
Garnish with: onions, cilantro, lemon, yogurt
Serve with: rice, roti, or on its own.
Authentic Punjabi Rajma
I had a lot of fun preparing Rajma that I paired with rice, that I tossed in my rice cooker. It was a simple, but overall such a rich and tasty meal with the perfect blend of spices! Pro Tip: I added some ghee from Costco! But butter tastes good on anything. It took less than 30 seconds of mental energy, normally this dish would require 45-60 minutes of focus, lots of dirty dishes, and wouldn't taste nearly as good.