A protein rich red kidney beans dish is best enjoyed with steamed rice. Silky beans, spiced sauce and tart tomatoes, what's not to love.
Rajma or Kidney Beans is believed to originate thousands of years ago in Peru. They were part of 'Common Beans' which were cultivated 8,000 years ago and were spread to different regions by tribes. The Portuguese brought it to Europe and then brought it back to India through the south-western coast. The legume is very rich in protein and rich in Vitamin K which protects cells and reduces the risk of cancer. The same vitamin is also beneficial for nervous system and brain function. The soluble fiber in Rajma prevents blood sugar levels to hike up after meals and helps lower cholesterol levels. That's pretty fabulous I think, great flavors with health benefits pretty much sums up a meal for a balanced diet.
- Add sauce, kidney beans, 1 & ⅛ cup of water into the Instant Pot and stir well.
- Lock lid, set valve to seal and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Once done, let rest for 10 minutes and set valve to vent to release pressure.
- Open lid and press cancel to turn off.
- Set to saute mode, and stir intermittently 2-3 minutes. Smash a few beans with the back of a spoon to thicken sauce.
- Optional garnish suggestions: cilantro, raw onions, lemon, serrano pepper, yogurt
- Best served with rice
- Legumes/Beans thicken over time. If not eaten immediately, add boiling water to desired consistency. You may also need to adjust salt at this time.