One Pot Quinoa & Lentil
Protein protein protein. Khicdi is indias favorite One Pot Meal. We traded rice for organic quinoa and we promise, you won’t miss it. To top it all, this will become your staple one dish meal.
Khicdi is tradtionally a fragrant potpourri of rice (we have substituted qunioa), lentils and spices, this mellow dish can be found in kitchens all over India in various avatars.
According to historian Mohsina Mukadam, khichdi is “one of the most ancient foods in India, yet one that has hardly changed.” Its name has its origins in the Sanskrit word khiccā, which translates to ‘a dish made with rice and pulses’. The gastronomic literature of ancient India also has many mentions of the krusaranna, an early relative of khichdi that had ingredients such as curd and sesame seeds.
Ibn Batuta, the famous Moroccan traveller who visited India in the 14th century, wrote, “Munj is boiled with rice, then buttered and eaten. This is what they call Kishri, and on this, they breakfast every day.”
The mighty Mughals too fell in love with this rice-dal staple and gave it an important place in the imperial menus of medieval India. There are several historical references to Akbar’s penchant for khichdi
Today, with every region in India having its own take on this classic dish, it won’t be an understatement to call khichdi India’s version of culinary comfort. From serving as a baby’s first meal and gruel for the sick to a deeply satisfying lunch on a rainy day, this versatile dish effortlessly lends itself to diverse occasions.
Package Includes 1) Sachet of quinoa and split moong in tadka (seasoned aromatic oil)
- Add quinoa mung with 4 cup water into the Instant Pot and stir well.
- Lock lid, set valve to seal and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once done, let rest for 10 minutes and set valve to vent to release pressure.
- Open lid and press cancel to turn off.
- Consider classic accompaniments of plain yoghurt, papadum, cilantro-mint chutney, onions and pickles.
- All legumes will thicken over time. If not eaten immediately, add boiling water to desired consistency. You may also need to adjust salt at this time.