Our favorite vegetarian dish. This consists of paneer (farmer’s cheese) in a spinach sauce that is seasoned with caramelized onions. Ours is made without cream so you can enjoy it guilt free. One of our quickest meals to the table.
Paneer was an accidental invention by the Mongols riding their horses carrying milk in Mushki (bags made of raw-hide). The heat of the deserts and the rennet in the leather turned the milk into paneer. Paneer was introduced into Indian cuisine during the Akbar period late 1500s.
The modern Punjabi paneer is a cheese used broadly in desi cuisine, sweet, savory and tangy, and its union with spinach and/or mustard greens is a match made in heaven.
Package Includes sachets of i) Caramelized sauce, ii) organic spinach iii) organic paneer
- Add sauce, spinach with ⅔ cup water into the instant pot and give it a good stir.
- Lock lid into place and set valve to SEAL.
- Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes (5 if frozen).
- Once done, let rest for 10 minutes then set valve to VENT to release pressure.
- Open lid and press cancel to turn off.
- Set to saute mode (with lid open) and stir intermittently for 3 minutes to thicken sauce.
- Add paneer, stir for 1-2 minutes till paneer is heated and silken.
- Paneer becomes hard/rubbery if overcooked. Put it in just before ready to eat. If reheating, keep reheating time to a minimum.
- Sautéing to thicken sauce will produce a creamier and richer sauce.
- Garnish with raw onions and julienned ginger.
- Best served with roti or naan.