Kaali Wali Daal (Lentils)
Made from brown lentils, Kali Daal is one of our favorites despite its misnomer of a name. You see kaali means black, but this daal is decidedly brown. Black or brown, we love its bold heartiness, its comforting warmth, and its bountiful nutrition.
InstructionsPackage includes 1 sachet of lentils with aromatic temper.
- Add lentils with 2 ½ cup water into the Instant Pot and stir well.
- Lock lid, set valve to seal and cook on high pressure for 13 minutes.
- Once done, set valve to vent to release pressure.
- Open lid and press cancel to turn off.
- Optional garnish suggestions: cilantro, raw onions, lemon, serrano pepper
- Best served with rice or Indian flatbread such as roti
- All legumes will thicken over time. If not eaten immediately, add boiling water to desired consistency. You may need to add salt at this time.
Daal (lentils), roti (whole wheat bread) and a chilli pepper are what make up both the simplest of Indian meals and the most universally loved.
Lentils are edible seeds from the legume family that are packed with B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and potassium. Lentils are 25% protein which makes them an excellent meat alternative. They’re also a great source of iron, a mineral that is sometimes lacking in vegetarian diets.