Kali Daal - Lentils
Yields 2.5 cups
Kali Daal (lentils) is one of our favorites despite its misnomer of a name. You see kaali means black, but this daal is decidedly brown. Black or brown, we love its bold heartiness, its comforting warmth, and its bountiful nutrition.
Package includes one sachet of spiced lentils.
PRO TIP: Cutting the packet on two/three sides will make it easier to move its contents to the IP.
- In the Instant Pot, add contents of packet and 2 ½ cups water.
- Lock lid, set valve to SEAL and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 15 minutes.
- Once done, let rest for 10 minutes, then set valve to VENT to release remaining pressure.
- Open lid and press CANCEL to turn off and give it a good stir.
- Classic accompaniments are plain yogurt, cilantro, raw onions, lemon and serrano peppers.
- Best served with rice or Indian flatbread such as roti.
- All legumes will thicken over time. If not eating right away, add boiling water to prior to reheating. You may also need to adjust salt at this time.
Daal (lentils), roti (whole wheat bread) and a chilli pepper are what make up both the simplest of Indian meals and the most universally loved.
Lentils are edible seeds from the legume family that are packed with B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and potassium. Lentils are 25% protein which makes them an excellent meat alternative. They’re also a great source of iron, a mineral that is sometimes lacking in vegetarian diets.