Yields 2.25 cups
A popular vegetarian dish. Hearty, healthful and totally satisfying.
Package Includes: 1) Ginger Infused Organic Chickpeas 2) Spice Mix (includes tea bag for color).
PRO TIP: Cutting the packet on two/three sides will make it easier to move its contents to the IP.
- In the Instant Pot, add chickpeas and spice mix and ⅔ cup water.
- Lock lid, set valve to SEAL and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 20 minutes.
- Once done, let rest for 10 minutes, then set valve to VENT to release remaining pressure.
- Open lid and press CANCEL to turn off.
- Remove tea bag and give it a good stir.
- Mash a handful of beans to thicken texture then set to SAUTE mode for 4 minutes to let excess water evaporate.
- Classic accompaniments are raw onions, lemon, serrano pepper, tamarind chutney.
- Best served with Indian flatbread.
- All legumes will thicken over time. If not eaten immediately, add a splash of boiling water before reheating. You may also need to adjust salt at this time.
Chickpeas, or chola, are one of the earliest cultivated legumes. Historians trace them back to 5000 BC in the Middle East. Chickpeas are also mentioned by a German writer in 1793 as a substitute for coffee! Fascinating, right?
Nutrient dense, chickpeas provide more than 20% daily value of protein. They are rich in dietary fiber, folate, and minerals like iron and phosphorus. They also provide a moderate amount of zinc, thiamin, vitamin B6, and magnesium. Cooked chickpeas are high in amino acids.