Kaali Daal is one of our favorites despite its misnomer of a name. You see, kaali means black, but this daal is decidedly brown. Black or brown, we love its bold heartiness, its comforting warmth, and its bountiful nutrition. Daal (lentils), roti (whole wheat bread) and a green chili pepper are what make up both the simplest of Indian meals and the most universally loved.
Ingredients: Lentils, Avocado Oil, Organic Ghee, Spices & Salt
In the Kit 1) Whole masoor lentils in an aromatic spiced ghee ‘tadka’
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add 2 ½ cups water, and then lentils.
- SEAL and cook at HIGH PRESSURE for 21 minutes.
- Once done, rest for 10 minutes, and then VENT to release remaining pressure. Enjoy!
- Bring 4 cups water and lentils to a rapid boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook till lentils are completely soft ~45 minutes. You may need to stir intermittently during the last 10 minutes of the process. Enjoy!
Note: Salt is kept low, add to taste
Garnish with: onions, lemon juice, cilantro
Serve with: roti, rice or on its own
Leftover tip: prior to reheating add a splash of hot water as all lentils thicken over time