Yields 2.5 cups
Our favorite vegetarian and Keto friendly dish. This consists of paneer (farmer’s cheese) in a spinach sauce that is seasoned with caramelized onions. Ours is made without cream so you can enjoy it guilt free.
Package includes: 1) Spinach Sauce 2) Organic Spinach 3) Paneer
PRO TIP: Cutting the packet on two/three sides will make it easier to move its contents to the IP.
- In the Instant Pot, add spinach and sauce with ½ cup water.
- Leave paneer packet on counter to thaw while spinach is cooking.
- Lock lid, set valve to SEAL and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 5 minutes.
- Once done, let rest for 10 minutes and set valve to VENT to release pressure.
- Open lid and press CANCEL to turn off.
- Stir sauce into the spinach and add paneer.
- Set to SAUTE mode, and stir intermittently for 3-4 minutes till paneer is soft and heated through.
- This dish is best when served immediately. Paneer gets hard when reheated/overcooked.
- Classic accompaniments are raw onions, lemon, serrano peppers.
- Best served with an Indian flatbread.
Paneer was an accidental invention by the Mongols as they rode their horses carrying milk in Mushki (bags made of raw-hide). The heat of the desert and the rennet in the leather turned the milk into paneer. Paneer was introduced into Indian cuisine during the Akbar period in the late 1500s.
The modern Punjabi paneer is a cheese used broadly in desi cuisine. Sweet, savory and tangy, its union with spinach or mustard greens is a match made in heaven.