Kali Dal Lentils
Only for SF Bay
Serves 2-3 - yields 40 oz
Kali Dal is one of our favorites despite its misnomer of a name. You see, kali means black, but this daal is decidedly brown. Black or brown, we love its bold heartiness, its comforting warmth, and its bountiful nutrition. Big in plant protein, dal (lentils), roti (whole wheat tortilla) and a green chili pepper are what make up both the simplest of Indian meals and the most universally loved.
In the Kit 1) Whole 'masoor' lentils and aromatic spiced ghee or avocado oil (for vegan) ‘tadka’
Ingredients: Organic Lentils, Avocado Oil, Organic Ghee (eliminated for vegan), Organic Spices (Cumin, Dried Red Pepper, Asafetida, Turmeric) & Salt.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add 4 cups water, and then lentils.
- SEAL and cook at HIGH PRESSURE for 21 minutes.
- Once done, rest for 10 minutes, and then VENT to release remaining pressure. Enjoy!
- Bring 6 ½ cups water and lentils to a rapid boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook till lentils are completely soft ~45 minutes. You may need to stir intermittently during the last 10 minutes of the process. Enjoy!
Note: Salt is kept low, add to taste
Garnish with: onions, lemon juice, cilantro Serve with: roti, rice or on its own
Leftover tip: prior to reheating add a splash of hot water as all lentils thicken over time