Ma's Chicken Curry
Yields 2.25 cups
A mildly spiced boneless chicken curry that has delicate aromas of onions, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander and garam masala. Tastes great with rice or roti. Ours is homey and comforting. We use locally sourced, Marys Air-Chilled Free Range Chicken.
Package includes: 1) Caramelized Onion Sauce 2) Mary’s Air-Chilled Free Range Chicken
PRO TIP: Cutting the packet on two/three sides will make it easier to move its contents to the IP.
- In the Instant Pot, add the chicken and sauce with ½ cup water.
- Lock lid, set valve to SEAL and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 9 minutes.
- Once done, let rest for 10 minutes, then set valve to VENT to release remaining pressure.
- Open lid and press CANCEL to turn off.
- If the chicken is stuck together separate the pieces with a spatula.
- Set to SAUTE mode, and stir intermittently for 4 minutes to thicken sauce.
- Classic accompaniments are cilantro, raw onions, lemon, serrano pepper, yogurt.
- Best served with rice or Indian flatbread.
The first chicken curry is called 'Country Captain's Chicken' and was documented on April 26, 1792 in the Madras Courier in India. In 1825, it would reach Georgia (USA) and would become a popular dish with President Roosevelt and General Patton. Captain's chicken led to various types of chicken curries.